Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Glamour Girls and Quaker Oats

With the holidays behind us, and a bitter cold New Year begun, "V" and I can finally get back to one of our favorite past-times - watching old movies from Hollywood's heyday. 
 
Not only do we enjoy watching these classics, but we get even more pleasure out of discussing them afterwards.  What a treat to be able to talk about a seventy-five or eighty year old film with someone who experienced it when it first came out!
 
I wonder if in forty-five years, I will be discussing Jennifer Lawrence's breakout turn in 2013 and subsequent Oscar win (and every other award that can be bestowed!) for last year's "Silver Linings Playbook" in the way that people first hailed Katharine Hepburn's performance in 1933's "Morning Glory" in much the same way?  (For trivia sake, I must add that this was her first of four Academy Award wins, although it took her another thirty-four years until she won her second golden statue!).

And, if I still happen to be in existence in forty-five years, will I be talking about it with a movie-loving caregiver?
 
No matter.  What's important is the present, and how much enjoyment "V" and I are getting out of our mutual movie addiction.
 
What's weird is that it's not such a big stretch for me, in spite of my younger age, to identify with the glamour girls and swoon-inducing leading men from Hollywood's golden age. 
 
On New Years' Eve, "V" and I watched "That's Entertainment!", a 1974 homage to some of MGM's greatest musicals.  Well... to be honest, I hummed and tapped while "V" snored and napped.  Either way, it was wonderful!  I had seen the film when it came out in the theaters forty years ago... at the ripe old age of eleven!  And unlike other eleven year olds at the time, I was absolutely mesmerized!  Fred & Ginger, Gene & Cyd, Mickey & Judy... they all became good buddies of mine.  While other pre-teen girls were talking about the latest heartthrob of the day, I was captivated by the shining stars of decades gone by!  All my friends must have thought I was insane!  (And a lot of you probably still do, but you stick with me anyway!  Thanks!)
 
Comedy, drama, musical, farce... I loved them all!  And my absolute favorite actor was (and still is) Spencer Tracy.  Sorry folks.  I'll admit that Tom Hanks is incredible.  My son and I just saw "Captain Phillips" last night, and Tom's still got it!  But nobody could capture a performance and captivate a crowd like Spence! 
 
I never imagined that when I received a set of black and white books about Hollywood's greatest stars from the 1930's through the 1950's (when some of them were at the tail end of their amazing careers) for my eleventh birthday, that the collection would travel with me from coast to coast and back again, and still be one of my most treasured possessions at the age of fifty!
 
Good thing, too!  It turns out that "V" has a few favorite actresses that I just happen to have books about.  What's really great is that they are two ladies that I never even noticed (a great oversight, I can now see!).   They certainly weren't over-looked by "V", however, who considers distinguished ladies, Rosalind Russell and Lana Turner, to be two of the finest actresses ever.  To me, reading their biographies and discovering their films is a much-welcomed new experience.  And to "V", it's a joyful trip down memory lane.


One Friday night a few weeks ago, "V" and I had the distinct pleasure of watching one of these ladies, Rosalind Russell, play the leading role in "Auntie Mame" on Turner Classic Movies.  The performance was spellbinding, and I couldn't imagine how I had ever missed this magnificent turn?  Maybe it was because Spencer Tracy wasn't in the movie...

But "V" hadn't missed Rosalind's brilliance at all, and she looked like she was floating on a cloud while she was watching the film again after so many years.  I must admit that my neck was a bit sore afterwards, what with trying to look at the expression on "V"s face to the left of me, then whipping my head around to the right so I wouldn't miss Rosalind.  I definitely have to readjust my seating for these viewings during the New Year before I get whiplash!

And so, last Friday, I knew exactly what I had to do!  The opportunity could not have been more perfect!  I took my little black and white up-until-now un-read Rosalind Russell biography off the shelf and blew the dust off the top.  This would be a wonderful surprise for "V", who had missed reading her large-print books while she was in the rehabilitation center.  Granted, my little book has tiny writing in it (after all, it is a little book!), but luckily the pages are filled predominantly with photographs from Rosalind's varied films.

The look on "V"s face when I presented her with the book was priceless, and it is moments like these that make my job as a caregiver for the elderly so completely fulfilling.  Stunned would probably be the best description, with a clearly distinguished glow of gratitude. 

"I can look at this?" "V" asked me in awe.

"Of course you can!  I have plenty more where that came from!" 

This was the absolute truth.  I did have plenty more!  And many of them had never even been opened.  Up until now, I never really had anyone to discuss them with.  It was a GIANT win-win for both "V" and I.

That night, there was no Rosalind Russell movie on Turner Movie Classics, which was perfectly fine.  We were both still buzzing about her performance the week before in "Auntie Mame."  Both of us needed a little down time to digest the magnitude of the situation.

The next morning, "V" and I continued to speak about Rosalind's role over our breakfast.  Since mid-Autumn, when the weather began to turn quite chilly, we switched our morning routine from a bowl of cereal with a slice of toast and a piece of fruit to a bowl of oatmeal with the same accompaniments.  "V"s oatmeal has to be made a certain way of course, and I am proud to say that I have mastered it!  Half a cup of Quaker Oats out of the large cardboard canister mixed with a cup of whole milk and microwaved for two and a half minutes on high.  Perfect!  A little maple syrup drizzled over the top, and it's even better!

I can't tell you how nervous I was the first day we switched from cereal to oatmeal.  I, of course, had been having Raisin Bran, while "V" would have Special K, both of us chuckling over my ongoing raisin fetish. 

I desperately wanted to make sure I got the oatmeal mixture just right for "V", so she wouldn't think I was a complete dufus in the kitchen!

And so I did.  We have now established a Winter routine where "V" remains at the table with her oatmeal while I run back to the microwave to heat up the water for my oatmeal.  Hot water in hand (or rather, microwave safe glass), I then sit down at the table with "V" and pour the liquid over my instant oatmeal, emptied from a small paper pouch that I simply tear open.

The first time "V" saw me do this, she looked stunned.  Seriously.  I don't think she'd ever seen instant oatmeal before, at least not from a pouch. 

"Are you going to put your raisins in it?" she asked me, after watching my incredible culinary expertise.

"They're already in there," I explained to her. 

She looked absolutely amazed.  "Really?" she asked.

"Really!" I went on.  "In fact, the pouches come in lots of different flavors.  Apples & Spice.  Blueberry.  Peach.  Whatever you could want!" I declared proudly.

"In fact," I added, "I bought a brand new flavor just the other day.  Cranberries and Apples!  I'll bring some next week!"

"V"s face was still in shock.  What was even funnier was that I don't think she realized that her Quaker Oats were basically the same as mine, except for the cardboard canister and the paper pouch.  And I wasn't the one who invented this miraculous idea.  Instant was instant, no matter what kind of container it came from or what type of liquid was poured in it!  I could have poured my box of raisins from last night's salad into her plain oatmeal and it would have been the same as mine!  Magic!

Once we re-grouped from the oatmeal, "V" and I moved past the subjects of Rosalind Russell and Raisins in my Quaker Oats so that we could proceed with the rest of our day.  Trust me, this wasn't an easy feat!

After a lovely afternoon together, we continued on with our weekend routine.  "V" watched the news while I prepared dinner, and afterwards, we both enjoyed "Jeopardy" and "Wheel of Fortune."  Next up, of course, was "V"s two favorite BBC programs, "Keeping Up Appearances" and "As Time Goes By" (see last week's blog for sentimental specifics).  After those, we usually switch over to whatever film is already in progress on TMC.

The showing that night just happened to star the other of "V"s two favorite actresses from Hollywood's heyday, Ms. Lana Turner.  And once again, here was a shining starlet that, for whatever reason, I had completely overlooked.  Shame on me!

The movie, "The Bad and the Beautiful," was very good, but what stuck out for me was Lana's brilliant performance.  And "V" had that dream-like look on her face again, although I made sure I didn't turn my head quite as many times as last week to avoid further neck pain.

Needless to say, I'm already prepared for this Friday.  Down from the shelf, dust blown off the top, is my little black and white book about Lana Turner, which I am chagrined to say I never read.

That's okay, though.  The joy on "V"s face when she looks through the black and white photos of another one of Hollywood's glamour girls will be satisfaction enough for me!

Plus, I can't wait to see what she thinks of the Apple & Cranberry Instant Oatmeal!


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment