Thursday, October 24, 2013

Over the River and Through the Woods

As the end of October draws near, I am faced with a challenge that all people who choose to reside in the Northeastern corner of the United States annually encounter:  How do I prepare myself, and my car, for the possibility of an early snowstorm so that I can still get where I want, and need, to go.
 
In my case, I want to go spend time with "V"!  My new memories made with her thus far have been most enjoyable and equally inspiring, and I do not in any way wish to interrupt our connection.
 
"V" is an absolute delight!  I cannot believe how much I look forward to her company week after week, and, from what I can ascertain, it certainly seems to be a mutual feeling.  Although she is, in many ways different from my beloved "M", (they are two very distinct individuals with very unique personalities!) I am also discovering some wonderful similarities.  Of course, some of these may simply be because they were born and raised in the same era, a much difficult time, harder yet simpler in some ways.  Families muddled through life's hurdles together, and communication with friends and loved ones, especially those who loyally served our country during war-time, was done mainly through the written word.  As a result of this lifestyle, I think that both "V" and "M", along with many others of their generation, display a sense of patience, the ability to wait and trust as opposed to the tendency to hurry and doubt, that is rare in our society today.

And although I hate to admit  it, I am a prime example of the "must get it done NOW!" urgency that dominates today's whirlwind world!   At least I was the other day... 

The Fall season in the Northeast has been absolutely beautiful so far this year, full of brilliant colors and almost balmy temperatures.  Some have said that the leaves are "duller" than usual, but I beg to differ.  To me, they are stunning and spectacular, which is probably explains why I've loaded up my poor little handy-dandy Droid camera phone with even more precious photographs (I'm up to over 3,000!!!  Something's gotta give soon in cell phone cyberspace!). 

And it is exactly because of this beautiful, balmy weather that when the calendar turned to October 15th, I began to seriously worry about getting the snow tires back on my little blue Honda Fit, "just in case" an early snowstorm should surprise us.  So much for staying in the moment.  You see, In New York State, it is legal to drive with snow tires after that date, and despite the disturbingly loud noise that the tiny tires make on my dainty and delicate vehicle, I nevertheless felt an undeniable sense of urgency.  "Must get it done NOW!" thinking in its truest form!
 
Of course, I have my reasons, and in this particular instance, I feel they are pretty darned valid and will justify them to anyone who dares me to! 

If you recall my tale of two Autumns ago, you'll completely understand my rationale.  That is when I spent the weekend before Halloween huddled up with "M" in her daughter's cozy home after an early blizzard hammered Eastern New York and much of Connecticut.  It was an amazing site!  Most of the trees, some still fully clothed in their colorful autumn apparel, sadly sagging under the weight of an oppressively heavy white blanket.  I don't recall ever seeing anything quite like it.
 
Yet, during the exact same time period last year (which I have also described previously), I was able to bask in the glorious sunlight with "M" as we picnicked near her old yacht club, enjoying an unseasonably warm but undeniably welcome late Autumn excursion.
 
With those two scenarios in mind, you can clearly see why I have a pressing need to be totally prepared this year!  I have important places that I want, that I need, to go.  The most important of which, understandably, is to be able to drive, literally, over the river and through the woods to spend more valuable time with "V"!
 
So far, as mentioned, the October weather has been fabulous, and "V" and I have been able to spend some lovely moments sitting on her deck enjoying the beauty of the field of beans behind her backyard.  But last weekend during our visit, I couldn't help but notice that all the beans were brown and some of the trees were quite indecently half-dressed (or flauntingly half-naked, depending upon your point of view).   The temperature is still warm during the day, but the nights are growing increasingly brisk, which I directly discovered while I shivered through the frugality of the "V" & "M" generation that do not turn on their heat until it is absolutely necessary!  Actually, their generation has really rubbed off on me, because I do exactly the same thing in my own little home.  It's either that (which I reluctantly admit), or I am getting older (which I also reluctantly admit).

There I was, bundled up in blankets in my upstairs bedroom at "V"s house, when I realized that I must move quickly on my winter preparations!  (I should mention that there were plenty of extra blankets available, just in case, but I was warmer under the covers than above them!).  In spite of my uncomfortable coldness, however, I knew deep in my heart that whatever Mother Nature had in store for the Northeast this season, I want, and need, to be able to get to "V"s home.  Our relationship is budding, blossoming, and blooming right in the midst of the falling leaves!  I do not want to disturb this glorious growth in any way.
 
Thus, I spent a recent morning in the tire shop having my warm-weather, extremely road-weary tires replaced by ready-to-go studded snows.  And what a warm day it was!  Bright sunshine.  The leaves alive with glorious colors.  Above normal temperatures.  I felt like a complete fool!  What idiot has their snow tires put on when they could be out enjoying such a gorgeous day?  (I was relieved to learn from the manager of the tire shop that two other idiots had done the same thing a few days earlier, and sincerely hoped to loudly, and proudly, pass by them during my travels.
 
And sure enough, the night after my little blue Honda Fit started wearing her winter boots, the temperature plummeted!  (Alright... maybe that's a slight exaggeration... I'll let you decide if twenty degrees lower deserves that description.).  Instead of daytime highs in the upper 60's and even low 70's, with the nights not dropping under the low fifties, the days were now only reaching the low fifties, with the nights dipping below the freezing level in the "higher elevations."

And it is those very same "higher elevations," known in the Northeastern corner of the United States as the foothills to the Catskill Mountains, that I want, I need, to drive over to get to "V"s quaint valley home.  So that I can get to know her better.  Spend more quality time with her.  Share in her sweet stories of a simpler time, when people were more patient, able to wait and trust, rather than worry and doubt.

So bring on the snow, Mother Nature!  I am prepared for whatever your plan is for this year's Northeastern winter.  And I'm ready to huddle with "V"!


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment